Collie Club of Victoria Inc
 

Our Club History

Sub-links for this page


 

The Collie Club of Victoria was formed on the 28th October, 1931, when Mr Bill Hudd called together a number of Collie enthusiasts, with the object of improving the breed, and to hold specialist shows and parades. Twelve people joined that night including Mr. Fred Holmes. The first President to take the chair was Captain McCormick, with Mr Hudd as Secretary. Soon afterwards a Mr Cooper took the position of Secretary and shortly after this, Mr Fred Holmes who then acted in the capacity of Secretary for 23 years straight, therefore having a big part to play in the moulding of the club.

The club was very active from the start, being able to hold its first parade just five months later at the motor dome on 5th March 1932.  The club held three parades in 1932- March 5, July 2, November 26. All highly successful. Fifty one members joined during the first year- membership fee 5/-.

The first Championship show was held at St.John's mission hall 26th August 1933. The judge was Mr J Wilkin of Adelaide.  The show was open from 10am to 10 pm, a total of fifty Collies were paraded and there was a very good attendance - a great success.

During this time the club had to withstand opposition from two other clubs and pressure to become affiliated with the K.C.C of Victoria.

It was the clubs third Championship Show which was the first to be conducted under K.C.C. rules, held at the Showgrounds on 24th of August, 1935, the club having just been affiliated held regular championship shows and parades each year ever since.

In the club notes of the K.C.C gazette- May 1946- Mr F Holmes writes:" At a recent meeting of the executive it was decided to hold a monthly general meeting for the purpose of entertaining members and friends. It is intended\that we have interesting lectures, etc., to the benefit of our many new exhibitors and a very interesting programme is being mapped out. Keep this in mind - the 4th Monday of each month, Room 11, Railways Building- next meeting May 27th.

These meeting continued to be held in the V.R.I. Building until 1975, when they were moved to St.Mark's Lutheran Hall, East Melbourne. The first meeting in our present Club rooms was held in March 1978, general meetings being held Bi-monthly at this time in an attempt to combat poor attendances. However, with the election of our current President, Mr N Willmott, in May 1979, they reverted to monthly once again. Although attendances still fluctuates, the affairs of the Club have continued to run smoothly, largely due to the efforts of the very efficient and hard working committee.

The Club's only perpetual trophy is "The Holme's memorial Shield" introduced in 1951 in memory of Mrs Holmes, and later to honour Mr. Holmes for his outstanding services to the Club. This shield is the clubs most prized possession and holds pride of place in the clubrooms. It is awarded to the Best Puppy, dog or bitch - at the Club's Championship Show each year, the winners name being inscribed thereon.

Over the years the Club has recognised a member's outstanding service to the club by awarding a Life membership, the first award being made in 1951. A special badge incorporating the original badge first issued in 1933 is awarded. There are currently 13 Life members.

The lifeline of the club is the "Collie Chatter" - a publication produced monthly with a member as editor - containing news, information on the club activities, show results and items of interest. It was first introduced in 1955 by the late Miss Ivy Hanneysee and is now sent to approximately 300 members.

During 1982, the club celebrated its 50th anniversary. To commemorate the occasion a gold badge and gold pendant were specially made, together with other items such as gold pens, plaques, pedigree forms and car transfers, to raise money to bring out an English judge , Mrs Kath Jeffries, to judge our 50th Championship show held on the 4th July 1982. The day started with a chicken and champagne breakfast, followed by judging at 10 am to 6 pm. with record entry of 284 individual Collies, including 12 Smooths, making up 319 entries. This was followed by presentation of a magnificent array of trophies and sashes, all donated, and a professionally catered smorgasbord. It was an outstanding success in every way and generally agreed to be the best ever.

 


Contact Details

Collie Club of Victoria Inc

Club Secretary